Friday 26 October 2007

Inspiration

To start with, i wasn't inspired to travel. More deluded. With the mad consumerism and emphasis society places on producing and consuming, and the uniformity in the way people life their lives -2.4 kids, SUV, HDB flat/condominium in land scarce Singapore...

In short, i felt it just wasn't me. I started to question the system, the whole purpose of studying hard, going through the O, A levels, making it to university. I never questioned it, most people never, it was like it was a reality, a fact of life. But was it?

There is so much more to life than just studying, working and then retiring. I felt i wanted something different in my life, i felt i wasn't born to just produce, and consume, and amass material wealth, and die.

By chance, i picked up a copy of Rolf Pott's Vagabonding in a public library, and it was it then, that i decided, life is an open road, there is so much more we can do and explore in life - it is a journey, an epic of infinite opportunities and possibilities. Then i started reading on travel literature - having tea with the Bedouin in the desert, mushing through the Yukon, captivated me. This, i decided, was what i want to do, it was what i found joy and exuberance in. What i tell myself, is that in 60 years time, the stories i want to be telling was of how i found my own paradise in a beach off the coast of Burma, how i got lost in the mazy streets of Cairo and trekked all the way up Mt. Kinabalu to see the sun rise. Not how i bought my first BMW, or how i bought my first property and grew my portfolio. Although some people may derive pleasure in that. To each his own, i say. Im thankful ive found what i want to do, what i seek for in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment