Friday 16 October 2009

The Great Life Experiment

This is my thesis statement about my life.

What travel does is that it opens your eyes to the endless horizons of life, the multitude of paths, the infinite possibilities stretching away. Its about life - living life consciously, deliberately, your eyes open. I stood at the rooftop today and looked out at the sunrise, the brightening skies, and realise, in a flood of realisation, that its the moment, perfection in fluid motion. Its about every moment, and wanting to live each of these moments in that amazing journey called life.

And just because you can't have everything in life, its about making conscious choices, knowing what you want from life, and being happy with the choices you make. That's it. Ive made mine, I know how i want to live my life, who i am, who i want to be. Its not about the money, its not about the new things, its not about doing what everybody does just because everybody does...

Call me naive - at the very least i'm doing no one any harm. And if this naivete, this optimism, an excitement about life can bring me content and fulfillment, my purpose in life (to live), then so be it. Its probably an easier and more fulfilling karma neutral way than say reaching a million dollars or having to buy that car/gadget/whatnot that advertisers tell you to, for instance.

Instead of just stumbling along in life not knowing who you are and what you want and sticking to the mainstream highway just to be safe, until that one day you will know. That one day. I've made it today - Ive made my choice, to live life with eyes wide open, a collector of experiences, come good come bad - anyhow both come together don't they.

I feel i've come a long way. A really long way. I'm not tired - I'm excited. About life, about all the things ahead, about all the things i'm going to do - even if not all of it is rosy. I've made my choices in life - I may be poor, but damn, am i going to be self-actualised content and fulfilled.

This is my great life experiment. Conscious living Eyes wide open. We'll see how it goes. If i die someday - I'll be the happiest man alive - no, dead.

5 comments:

  1. Hey M!
    Isn't that the Scandinavian bakery next to Nam Phu fountain? My favourite place as well! Anyway, good to see your blog up! I'll definitely be subscribing to it!
    'Stale blog' eh? A quick glance through your archives tell me you've been observing, reflecting and writing a lot! Mine sounds self-indulgent next to yours!

    Where next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ying,

    Thanks for dropping by! =) Yep that's the Scandinavian bakery with the amazing russian banana cakes... where i could make a coffee last for hours writing. hmm mine is the original stale-tea self-indulgent blog la...

    The next big one... wanted South America on a bike, but seems quite expensive with the flights and all, so i'm now looking at north Africa and a bit of med Europe, or maybe i'll just go back to Istanbul and take a train up to Sofia and start wandering from there! That would be the dream - next year August, hopefully.

    And you? What are your plans after Turkey?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey M,

    I'm back in KL till this Saturday where I'd fly to Italy and work again. Itinerary this time will include East/West Carribean and the US. Then, after work, possibly, live for a while in Italy, or walk the Camino de Santiago, while working towards buying a small boat and sailing around South Africa.

    When I come back to Malaysia, I still get the 'Why don't you get a proper job' lecture from my relatives.

    Do you ever?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Typo: South America, not South Africa.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yea, like why am i wasting money and time travelling when i should be working to gain "practical experience for the workplace".

    Really. Of course i should (sell myself to the system with no end in sight - that is its biggest trick no? that what you have is never enough...)

    ok enough rant, so yea, i get the same thing... but im thankful i know what i want from life, that i can actually be happy without having to buy this or that.

    For now its pretty much office for me for the next year or so before i head off. Just treat it as a kind of new experience i guess :) Travelling is a mindset afterall, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete