Friday 9 October 2009

Yesterday...















A time, a place, a memory. Istanbul June 2009.

In Istanbul, Somewhere special. One of those places that you know will remain with you for a lifetime. Fond memories climbing the hill up to Galatasaray, the Istiklal Caddesi for evenings on the town, Galata bridge and the smell of fresh grilled fish on Istanbul mornings, hopping on and off trams like an Istanbullu, living in Aksaray for the first part of my stay, walking down to Sultanahmet square, sitting in the Topkapi palace gardens, reading, writing, eating chewy Turkish dondurma ice-creams...

Unabashedly, the country i have gone back in my dreams most is Turkey.

Just yesterday I found myself strolling down a cobbled street, a seafront promenade, in a small Turkish town by the sea, the Mediterranean, the sea breeze in my face. A street-side cafe, the waiter beckoning, people walking down the promenade in the evening, couples hand in hand.

I wish i could go back again. A happy little foreign town where the stars hung upside down and where we were so free, not thinking about the future, the past, but the now, the moment, the sunset.

It feels like another life. In fact I feel that i've had many different lives, each so different, so crazy, from the next - mad to live, an exuberance, a passion to live, and to burn, burn, burn until i go with a bang and make people go "aww"...

Yep. When i ask myself, what is the purpose to life, i find that i can come up with no other answer than a simple, to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment